- To be a Philosopher is not merely to have subtle thoughts, nor even to found a school, but so to love wisdom as to live, according to its dictates, a life of simplicity, independence, magnanimity, and trust.
- Human behavior flows from three main sources: desire, emotion, and knowledge. Desire has its seat in the loins. Emotion has its seat in the heart. Knowledge has its seat in the head.
- No man when conscious attains to true or inspired intuition, but rather when the power of intellect is fettered in sleep or by disease or dementia.
- Where there is no strife there is decay; the mixture which is not shaken decomposes.
- The noblest art appeals to the intellect as well as to the feelings, and this intellectual pleasure is the highest form of joy to which a man can rise.
- We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
- He who has many friends has no friend.
- He who has never learned to obey cannot be a good commander.
- The secret of peace is not to make our achievements equal to our desires, but to lower our desires to the level of our achievements.
- The inquiry of truth, which is the love-making or wooing of it; the knowledge of the truth, which is the praise of it; and the belief of the truth, which is the enjoying of it, is the sovereign good of human natures.
- Men ought to know that in the theatre of human life it is only for Gods and angels to be spectators.
- Love your friend as if he were to become your enemy, and your enemy as if he were to become your friend.
- If a man will begin with certainties, he shall end in doubts; but if he will be content to begin in doubts he shall end in certainties.
- Minds are conquered not by arms but by the greatness of soul.
- To hate is to acknowledge our inferiority and our fear; we do not hate a foe whom we are confident we can overcome.
- That is just it, you must have the devil in you to succeed in any of the arts.
- When once a nation begins to think, it is impossible to stop it.
- For it is to him who masters our minds by the force of truth, and not to those who enslave them by violence, that we owe our reverence.
- Man has the highest intelligence because he has the greatest wants and the widest mobility; beings without wants are also without mind.
- Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance.
- How much more suffering is caused by the thought of death than by death itself.
- Every science begins as philosophy and ends as art; it arises in hypothesis and flows into achievement.
I hope you like this small collection of insightful thoughts. Happy Reading!
Find me on Quora:
Find me on Twitter: