Top 7 Books to Read in 2020 by Ashish Gupta
“Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light.”
— Vera Nazarian
We all know all of you are stuck indoors and want to escape this never-ending negative news cycle. Isn’t it? So, at this point in time do you all know who our escapists are? Well, they are none other than our best friends, books. Books will provide us with the perfect escape right now. Wait wait wait! Are you all assuming that amidst such a broad plethora of books which books should you select and delve into? Don’t worry! We are here for you! We have already selected the top 7 must-read books from a veritable library for y’all. So, what are you waiting for? Check below to have a rocking good-reading ahead!
Here’s the list of the top 7 books which are a must-must-must read in 2020
Well here you won’t find a lot of description about the books, I restrained myself minutely from giving the spoilers! Rest searching and reading these books will be your part…
- The Interpretation of Dreams (by Sigmund Freud):- This book is a masterpiece of Freud, the father of psychoanalysis. Through this book, he uncovered to the world the skeleton key to all the dreams and also introduced his theory of the unconscious with respect to dream interpretation. Dreams according to his theory represent the hidden fulfilment of our unconscious wishes. Freud said of this work, ” Insight such as this falls to one’s lot but once in a lifetime.” It is considered as one of the best Psychology books of all time.
- Sweet Sorrow(by David Nicholls):-
Another of this summer’s most awaited novels. This sweet, nostalgic coming-of-age novel is a heady affair composed of teenage angst, insecurities, fear, jealousies, fraught emotions and all the mass of confusion that besets the teenage soul at the innocent, tender age of 16. Sweet Sorrow is full of humorous passages which captivate the readers most.
- Unbeatable Mind (by Mark Divine):-
This book is a self-help book which was created by Mark Divine drawing points from the Navy Seals philosophy and training techniques. The sole aim of the book is to help you raise the performance of your mind and body leaving a positive impact and a different outlook on your mind. At several points in our life, we feel lonely, stressed out, hopeless and start doubting ourselves. Well, this book calls for a read then! This is a book which will motivate you, make you believe that we can do much more than we think we are capable of. This book will help you increase your mental clarity, to focus on your mission, to be more sensitive to your internal and external radar and what not? This book is my favourite and I guarantee you this book will deepen your willpower, intention and connection with your spiritual self like no other. So, go and read!
- The Bell Jar (by Sylvia Plath)
Sylvia Plath’s “The Bell Jar ” is packed with bleak truths, tough topics and wryly dark humour. It is a story of a nineteen-year-old girl Esther Greenwood, the breakdown she experiences and the beginnings of her recovery. Plath, using the tool of realism, shows how a woman falls into the grip of insanity. It is an intensely emotional and a haunting American classic.
So, if you feel you are suffering from depression or confusion about topics pertaining to society or sex,”The Bell Jar” is definitely the book you should flip into.
- The Art of Love(by Erich Fromm)
The award-winning author showed millions of readers how to achieve rich, productive lives by developing hidden capacities for love in a very ‘down to earth’ way. The Psychoanalyst Erich Fromm views the notion ‘love’ from a different perspective and explores love in all its aspects- not only romantic love, steeped in false conceptions and lofty expectations, but also brotherly love, erotic love, self-love, the love of God and the love of parents for their children.
So if you want to understand the term ‘love’ in its truest sense this is the best book to rely upon.
- A Thousand Splendid Suns(by Khaled Hosseini):- This is a staggeringly beautiful emotional novel. Hosseini vividly brings out the nasty conditions of women in Afghanistan. Khaled Hosseini never fails to bring poolside tears to the eyes of his readers by crafting beautifully a full range of human emotions. It is a striking, heart-wrenching novel of the unforgiving time, an unlikely friendship, an indestructible love, all together, making it a stunning accomplishment.
While reading this book, do keep a box of tissue papers beside you because I am sure you won’t be able to hold your tears.
- The Room on the Roof (by Ruskin Bond):-
The Room on the Roof is the masterpiece of Ruskin Bond which is penned fantastically. It is a moving tale of love and friendship which brilliantly describes the hopes and passions of adolescence that capture young minds and hearts. It will make you rethink your life, make you slow down and value the simple pleasures of life. The book is simply profound and profoundly simple, and you will definitely fall in love with the freedom of the protagonist, Rusty.
So just go search for the books mentioned above, fit into your favourite corner, grab a cup of coffee and get prepared to get transported to another world for a while.